I liked some of the resources on CIESE site. They would be very valuable to me if and when I teach Environmental Science again. The Chemistry activities on WISE look interesting. At first glance, I think I will try to use the Recycling Rubber tires and End of Gasoline Engine modules this year in class.
I want to spend some time thinking of ways to incorporate real time data into chemistry teaching. The pace needed to cover all our curriculum seems fast, with little time to do "real" anything, like make the chemistry concepts apply to real life.
With regards to PLN, I am letting go of Twitter. I really didn't get into it that much. Following others didn't produce the gains I might like for the time involved. I personally don't like sending out messages. With enough other things to do, this seemed like always one of the last areas I would check. Now that I have only two weeks of summer left before returning for preplanning meetings on Aug. 3, I have to concentrate time where I can be most productive. With another MSU course to finish and the need to start school with a refreshed and more relaxed state of mind, time management is important.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Tom,
ReplyDeleteOnly two weeks of summer before you go back? How early did you get done?
Like you, I have mixed feelings about Twitter. I still don't tweet much, but I am finding some good sites through the people I am following so I guess I'll hold on for a while. On a positive note, one of my favorite fly shops just starting putting fishing reports on Twitter. Now that gets my attention :)
Randy, last day of classes usually is the Friday before Memorial Day. For 2010, last day is 21 May and post planning ends on 25 May.
ReplyDeleteI actually think Twitter has some great possibilities for communication with large numbers of people. The commercial potential, like with your fly fishing shop-- "One day only real Mayflies", or the school system to send out -- severe weather closing (Aka snow day in most part of the country -- is good. If I were a text user, getting a short text message on my phone might be good. However, I don't use a cell phone so to follow Twitter, I have to be near my computer. I think it would be more attractive if people used it to say something important and didn't feel compelled to send many per day or even hour.
For educational purposes, I would usually like more than 140 characters, like reading the blogs of some of the people I was following on Twitter.
I feel the same... Twitter can fly away! It has helped me find some great blogs though of biology resources, but I really can't see myself 'chatting'... I see myself more searching through older blog archives, etc.
ReplyDelete